Zanaflex is a brand of Tizanidine, which comes under the group of skeleton muscle relaxant. This drug just works by acting on the alpha 2 receptor in the brain and the spinal cord and inhibiting the transmission of the pain between the brain and the nerve.
It is used for the treatment of skeletal muscle spasticity, which occurred due to the multiple sclerosis or spinal cord injury. Spasticity is a condition in which muscle contracted continuously, which cause stiffness or tightness in the muscle and interferes with the speech and normal movement.
The intake of this drug is restricted in certain condition-
- Don't take it in case of having any allergy to Zanaflex or any of its ingredients.
- Don't take this drug in case of pregnancy or breast feeding.
- Avoid the intake of Zanaflex, in case of taking fluvoxamine and antibiotics ciprofloxacin.
- In case of having any kind of liver or kidney disorder.
Avoid the intake of the certain drug along with this drug as it may increase or decrease the efficacy of Zanaflex such as methyldopa and clonidine, ciprofloxacin, fluvoxamine, cetirizine, diphenhydramine, alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem codeine, oral contraceptives.
- Store at room temperature away from light and moisture.
- Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Dosage of Zanaflex 2mg
According to the patient medical condition and requirement Zanaflex comes in the dose of 2mg and 4mg.Zanaflex should be taken orally at an interval of 6 -8 hours. It is advised not to take more than 36mg of Zanaflex in a day or more than 3 tablets in 24 hours. An excess intake of this drug causes damage to the liver. Zanaflex should be taken only for those activities that require relief from muscle spasticity.
What to do in case of Missed Dose?
In case of a missed dose, take Zanaflex 2mg as soon as you come to know about it. If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up the missed dose.
What to do in case of overdose?
Overdose symptoms include severe dizziness or drowsiness, confusion, abnormal breathing, fainting. Seek medical help in case of overdose symptoms
Side Effects of Zanaflex 2mg
Some frequent side effect associated with Zanaflex include rash, itching or swelling, severe dizziness, difficulty breathing, fainting, mental/mood changes , slow or irregular heartbeat, vision changes, nausea, vomiting, severe stomach/abdominal pain, dark urine, yellowing eyes., vertigo, lightheadedness, constipation, weakness, and tiredness.
Precaution of Zanaflex 2mg
- Don't stop taking Zanaflex 2mg suddenly; otherwise you may experience some withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, tremor, increased blood pressure or abnormal heart rate.
- After taking Zanaflex, don't get involved in the works that require alertness until you how to react to it, as this drug make you drowsy and sleepy.
- Avoid the intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Older patient take this drug with more care as older patient are at risk of falling after taking this drug.
- Get up slowly from laying position as this drug makes you drowsy.
- Don't stop the intake of this drug suddenly after along use; otherwise you may get some withdrawal symptoms like fast heart rate, tremors, giddiness, anxiety, and increased spasticity.
- Avoid the intake of medication like allergy, cold medication, sleeping pill or medicine for seizure.