RU486 is prescribed to terminate the early pregnancy of less than 63 days. Mifepristone is an active constituent of RU486. Mifepristone is a synthetic steroid hormonal drug having an anti progesterone effect. This drug causes the termination of early pregnancy by binding itself to the progesterone receptor and thus inhibits the working of progesterone.
Indications of RU486
RU486 helps is prescribed to cause the termination of early pregnancy of less than 63 days or 9 weeks.
Dosage and Administration of RU486
RU486 contains 3 pills of Mifepristone. For the termination of the pregnancy female should consume three pill of Mifepristone with an empty stomach. After 2 days of taking Mifepristone, doctor diagnoses the uterus to confirm the complete execution of pregnancy. In case female is still pregnant, she asked to consume 2 more tablets of Misoprostol at one time, which causes the muscle cramp and uterine contraction to expel the fetus from the female's womb. After 14 days female should visit clinic to get the confirmation of the termination of the pregnancy.
Side Effects of RU486
Some Common side effects include Mild pelvic pain, stomach pain, back pain, feeling of sleepiness, and feeling of nausea. Some Severe adverse effects include severe headache, fever, diarrhea, anxiety, Severe or prolonged bleeding, and weakness.
The intake of RU486 is restricted in certain condition-
- If the women is hypersensitive to Mifepristone or any other inactive constituent of RU486.
- In case of renal, hepatic and asthma disease.
- In Anemic and hemorrhagic disorder don’t use it.
- Take off your IUD device before using Ru486
- In case of Ectopic pregnancy.
The certain drug should be avoided while taking RU486
- Anti epileptic medication like Phenytoin, Carbamazepine and Phenobarbital
- Anti fungal drug such as Ketoconazole, Fluconazole and Itraconazole
- Corticosteroids- Dexamethasone
- Antibiotics- Clarithromycin, Azithromycin and Erythromycin
- It should be kept under the room temperature 30° C.
- Keep it away from the reach and sight of children and pets.
- It should be stored in air tight container.
What to do in case of overdoes?
In case of overdose, seek medical help as in this situation prolonged bleeding occurs.
What to do in case of missed dose?
In case of a missed dose, consult your doctor.
Precautions while taking RU486
Some precautions should be followed while using RU486
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while using RU486.
- It should not be taken by breastfeeding female.
- Definite the confirmation of your pregnancy before using RU486
- After an abortion with RU486 don't get engaged in sexual session.
- Avoid sexual session for a couple of weeks, as it may cause vaginal infection.