Ovral L is a combination of two hormones Levonorgestrel (0.15mg) and Ethinyloestradiol (0.03mg). This drug works either by-
- Blocking the release of an egg or ovulation.
- It prevents the sperm from reaching the uterus by changing the amount of mucus in the uterus and cervix.
- It also reduces the likelihood of implantation.
Ovral-L is intended for the treatment of -
- Prevention of pregnancy
- Moderate to severe acne
- Ovarian cysts
- Irregular menstrual periods
Ovral-L is not to be administered in case of -
- Having any allergy towards generic Levonorgestrel and Ethinyl estradiol.
- Kidney, liver and jaundice disorder.
- Ovarian issues or ovarian cysts.
- breast, uterine and endometrial cancer
Avoid the intake of certain drug while taking Ovral L such as paracetamol, HIV drugs, ascorbic acid, modafinil, dexamethasone antibiotics and anti-epileptic drugs.
- Store Ovral L at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Store in a cool place.
Dosage of Ovral-L
In one strip of Ovral-L, it contains total 21 tablets. One pill of Ovral L should be taken orally at the same time for 21 days per day. New pack of Ovral L starts after a gap of 7 days. The intake of Ovral L should be commenced from the first day of menstrual cycle, it pause the pregnancy trouble if taken regularly for 21 days without any failure.
What to do in case of missed dose?
In case of skipped one pill and the 12 hours haven’t passed after missed dose, take it as soon as you come to know about it, Take the next tablet at the usual time.
- In case 12 hours have passed after missing a single or double pill of Ovral L, then the protection against the pregnancy reduces, take the two pill of Ovral L at the same time. The last missed tablet should be along with the used of non hormonal back up contraception method to prevent getting pregnant for the next one week. If two pills in a row are missed in week 1 or week 2 of the dosage, in such case two tablets should be taken on the day when you come to know about it and two tablets the next day. In addition, a nonhormonal back-up method of birth control (such as condoms) should be used for the next one week.
- If two active tablets in a row are missed in week 3 of the dosage, or if three or more tablets in a row are missed in weeks 1-3 of a pack, discard the rest of the pill and start with a new packet of Ovral L on the same day. Use additional methods to prevent pregnancy.
What to do in case of over dose?
Severe overdose symptoms of Ovral-L are severe nausea or vomiting and unusual vaginal bleeding. Seek medical help in such case.
Side Effects of Ovral-L
The possible side effects of Ovral L include Depression, Unwanted facial or body hair, Headache, Worsened acne, Drastic weight changes, Swelling of ankles or fee, Vaginal discomfort & bleeding, Stomach cramping, indistinct vision, Dark patches on skin, Nausea.
Precautions While Using Ovral-L
- Along with this drug, avoid smoking, as the content of smoking increases the chance of blood clots, heart attack or stroke.
- This drug doesn’t provide any kind of protection from the sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV and AIDS. It is recommended to use a condom to avoid such kind of circumstances.
- Don’t take Ovral L at least for 28 days after delivery.
Ovral L should be taken by the patients for 21 days continuously. Once this course of cycle is over, the patient should start with fresh pack for another 21 days after taking a gap of 7 days.
In case the patient has not used any contraceptive pill in the previous month then she should take first tablet on the first day of the period and if the patient takes Ovral L tablet on 2-7 day, then an additional birth control method should be used.
If the patient misses one tablet then she should take that tablet as soon as she remembers it. If the patients misses regular tablet one time and by the time she remembers about it, it’s time for regular second dose, then she need to take two tablets that is one missed and other regular.
The patients might suffer from the side effects of the tablet Ovral L such as nausea, vomiting, bloating, stomach cramps, pain in breast, tenderness or swelling, etc.
Sometimes, the face of the patients becomes dark and there is change in the appetite & in turn weight. A few might experience vaginal itching or discharge, changes in the menstrual periods and decreased sex drive.
The user of Ovral L might get headache, nervousness, dizziness and patient might feel tired, their mood changes and they feel depressed.
The patients should not smoke while using Ovral L as it might increase the risk of blood clot, smoke or heart attack.
Ovral L intake will not protect the patient from sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV, AIDS, etc. So alternate method should be used by the patient for this.
In case, the patients shows any allergic reaction such as problem in breathing, swelling of face, etc. she should consult doctor.
Some patients using Ovral L might suffer from numbness, weakness, headache, confusion, pain behind eyes, blurred vision, pain in chest, fever, nausea and migraine headache,
Sometimes, the patient might suffer from jaundice, loss of appetite, swelling in hands, ankles, sleeping problem, etc.