Norethindrone is a derivative of progesterone hormone and it is basically causing the prevention of ovulation in females. Ovulation is a procedure in which the ovary of female releases an egg and pushed down the fallopian tube and available for the fertilized. Norethindrone makes changes in the cervical mucus and uterus lining and makes the vaginal fluid more viscous and prevents the sperm from reaching and evades the procedure of fertilization and changes the uterine lining of females and discontinues the release of an egg in female ovary. Hence, effectively prevent the pregnancy in ladies.
Pharmacological Uses of Norethindrone
Norethindrone is meant for the treatment of various diseases -
- Unusual uterine bleeding
- Endometriosis, which is caused due to hormonal imbalances
- Prevention of pregnancy in females
- Secondary amenorrhea
When Norethindrone Is Not to Be Used?
Under some medical circumstances, this medicine is not to be taken-
- Don’t use therapy, if you are oversensitive to generic Norethindrone and any other active ingredient of this therapy.
- No need to make use of this medication in case of kidney and liver dilemma.
- Breast cancer suffering females should not take this medical therapy.
- If you have recently done an abortion, then avoid the consumption of this drug.
- Never take this medical therapy in case of breathing issues.
- Don’t use this medicine in case of mood disorders like mood swings and migraine.
Drugs May Interact With Norethindrone
- Griesofulvin (Fulvicin and Grisactin)
- St.john’s wort
- Ketoconazole, Miconazole and Itraconazole
- Phenobarbital, Secobarbital and Butabarbital
- Anti-HIV medications like Amprenavir, Saquinavir, Atazanavir and Ritonavir
Suitable Storage Conditions of Norethindrone
- Norethindrone should be stored under the room temperature 300 C and away from the sunlight, heat and humidity.
- Keep this drug away from the reach and sight of kids.
Dosing Information on Norethindrone
A female should consume only one tablet of Norethindrone up to 28 days. This medication therapy should be initiated on the initial day of your menstrual cycle. You have to take one tablet of Norethindrone by the mouth and with a sufficient amount of water. It should be always administered with food items to avoid from the stomach problem and nausea.
- Dose for endometriosis- Initially you should consume 5mg of Norethindrone tablet as orally once in first 2 weeks after some days, you should increase the dose by 2.5mg per day every 2 weeks until 15 mg of dose is reached. Norethindrone treatment should be continued for 6to9 months.
- Dose for secondary amenorrhea and abnormal vaginal bleeding- You should get 2.5mg to 10mg of Norethindrone as orally once a day regularly for 5to10 days.
If You Omit A Dose of Norethindrone
Take the missed dose of Norethindrone as soon as you recall, but if the time near the next dose then leave the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Never make use of twofold of Norethindrone at one time.
If You Take An Overdose of Norethindrone
Severe nausea, sickness and unusual vaginal bleeding are the major overdosing symptoms of Norethindrone.
In you undergo any above mentioned overdosing indications of Norethindrone, then instantaneously get advice from your gynecologist and get an emergency treatment from your nearest hospital.
Unwanted Effects of Norethindrone
Some more general undesirable effects of this drug may include-
- Nausea, breast tenderness, stomach distress, freckles and darkening of the skin.
Severe adverse effects of this medication may include-
- Migraine headache, depression, chest pain, pelvic pain, vaginal discharge, decreases sexual interest and unexpected changes in your menstrual cycle.
Special Safety and Precautions
- Girls under the age of 18 years should not get this medicine.
- Norethindrone is strictly prohibited in case of pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Alcoholic beverages should not to be administered along with Norethindrone.
- Avoid driving and execute any activity which needs awareness as it may cause inclination of dizziness and affect your ability to drive.
- Diabetic females should not get this drug as it may drop the level of blood glucose.
- Don’t smoke while taking this drug as smoking may increase the risk of blood clots, stroke and heart attack.