Ethinylestradiol is a synthetic analogue of estrogen. Estrogen acts as a contraceptive by inhibiting the maturing and discharge of eggs from the ovaries and increasing the viscosity of the mucus present in the cervix, which prevents entry of sperm in the uterus through the vagina. It also alters the lining of the uterus so that it becomes difficult for the fertilized egg to get implanted. The Cyproterone acetate acts against androgen hormone. It functions by blocking the receptors on which androgen hormone acts. It means that excessive hair growth and acne due to androgens will be treated.
Indications Of Mircette Are
- Mircette tablets help in reducing too much hair growth in women as a result of production of abnormal amounts male sex hormones or androgens.
- It is also used as an oral contraceptive pill.
- Mircette tablets are used in the controlling of moderate to severe acne.
It should be stored away from the moisture, heat or direct sunlight. It should be placed in cool and dry place. The Mircette should be stored under hygienic conditions.
Drug Interactions With Mircette
- Antiepileptic drugs- Phenytoin and Carbamazepine
- Antibiotics- Tetracycline and Penicillin
- Antiretroviral drugs- Zidovudine; Stavudine
Mircette Should Be Avoided In The Following Conditions
- If you are suffering from Vein thrombosis and venous thromboembolism.
- If you are allergic to Cyproterone acetate and/or Ethinylestradiol.
- It is not to be used by pregnant women and breast feeding mother.
Doses of Mircette
Each pill is to be taken regularly for twenty one days and then take a seven day break in which you do not have to take any pill. There is a reduction in hormone levels during this break, which leads to withdrawal bleeding. After a seven day break, again start with the same dosing regimen.
Miss A Dose Of Mircette
If you skip a dose of Mircette then follow the instructions below:-
- If you skip one dose of Mircette:- If you disremember to take one dose, or start your new dosing schedule one day late, you should take the dose you missed as soon as possible, even if you have to take two doses at the same time. . Then continue to take your doses, one every day, as normal.
- If you skip two doses of Mircette:- If you disremember to take two or more doses, or start your new dosing schedule two or more days late, you should take the last dose you missed as soon as possible, even if this means taking two doses at the same time. Leave out the other missed ones. Then continue taking the rest of the doses as normal.
What You Should Do When You Take Overdose Of Mircette
Avoid taking an overdose of this drug as it can lead to adverse effects. In case of emergency, consult your doctor immediately.
Adverse Effects of Mircette
Hypertension or high blood pressure, hemorrhagic stroke, liver tumor (benign and malignant) and thromboembolic disorders; Mild Headache; nausea; stomach ache; Depression; Pain in the breasts; Fluid Retention; Mood changes and Stroke.
Precautions While Taking Mircette
- Avoid taking this drug, if you have Diabetes, Hypertension and Cardiovascular disorders.
- Do not use this drug, if you have hepatic or liver disorders.
- You should avoid taking any Hormonal contraceptives while using Mircette for the treatment of Acne.