In Feldene, Piroxicam is the active drug, which comes under the group of medication known as NSAID (Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs).It works by blocking the COX-1 enzyme(cyclooxygenase), resulting in inhibition of the production of prostaglandins that is responsible for causing pain and inflammation. It also inhibits the formation of aggregating agent thromboxane A2, an, by the platelets.
Indication of Feldene
It is recommended to treat symptoms of the arthritis, osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and in painful periods.
Contraindication of Feldene
Feldene is not recommended for in enlisting condition
- If having any allergic to Piroxicam or any of its ingredients
- In case of recent any heart surgery
- In case of stomach bleeding
- In case of severe allergic reaction such as skin rash, hives, difficulty in breathing, lightheadedness
Drug Interaction of Feldene
Avoid the intake of certain drug while taking this drug:
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin, aspirin.
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, such as fluoxetine
- Uricosurics drugs such as Probenecid
- hyperlipidemia drugs such as Cholestyramine
- Bisphosphonates such as alendronate, cyclosporine,
- methotrexate, sulfonamides
- diuretics such as furosemide
Storage Condition of Feldene
- Keep this drug out of the reach of children or pets
- Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct heat and light.
Dosage of Feldene
Take Feldene orally, usually one time in a day with a full glass of water. In case of stomach upset take it with food, milk. It should be taken for 14 days to show its therapeutic efficacy. The maximum recommended daily dose is 20 mg.
What to do in case of missed dose?
In case of missed doses of Feldene, take it as soon as remembered. However, if it is nearly time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and return to regular dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at once to catch up.
What to do in case of overdose?
Overdose symptoms include sleepiness, nausea, tiredness, vomiting. Overdose treated with symptomatic and supportive care.
Side Effects of Feldene
This drug has some side effects along with its positive effects, but it vary from person to person. Some common side effects include upset stomach, hearing disorder, mood disorder, puffiness of the feet/hands, vomiting, sleepiness, or headache bleeding, trouble in swallowing, unexpected weight gain, alteration in the amount of urine, vision change.
Safety Tips of Feldene
While using Feldene, some safety tips should be followed.
- Quit smoking or drinking alcohol along with this drug because the risk of bleeding increases.
- Don’t take it in case of pregnancy or breast feeding, it may harm the baby.
- Feldene should be sued with an extra care in old age person because they may be more sensitive to its side effects such as stomach bleeding.
- Don’t take Feldene more than the recommend dose or for a longer time than it is prescribed.