The secretion of prolactin hormone from the pituitary gland is controlled by the hypothalamus, which further depends on the release of dopamine. Generic Cabergoline present in the Dostinex acts as a long-acting agonist on Dopamine (D2) receptors; therefore, it has a direct inhibitory effect on the secretion of prolactin hormone from the pituitary gland.
Uses of Dostinex
Dostinex is used to treat various types of medical disorders in male or female which can occur due to the presence of excessive amounts of Prolactin hormone in the body. Dostinex functions by inhibiting the release of prolactin from the pituitary gland.
- It is used in the management of menstrual problems
- It is used to treat fertility disorders in men or women
- It is used to treat enlarged breasts in men
- It is used to control formation of excessive breast milk in women
- It is used to treat pituitary prolactinomas that means tumors of the pituitary gland
Store this drug at room temperature. Store it away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep it out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- Other ergot alkaloids
- Any other non-prescription drugs or herbal drugs
Dostinex Should Be Avoided In The Following
- If you are taking other non-prescription drugs or herbal drugs
- It is not recommended for children
- In cases where the person is suffering from renal or kidney Disorders
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding
- If you have any cardiovascular disorders
- Dostinex should not be taken by individuals who are allergic to Cabergoline as it can lead to hypersensitivity reactions like hives, skin rashes etc.
How To Take Dostinex
Dostinex is available in two different doses of 0.25 mg and 0.5 mg. It is available in the form of tablets that are to be taken orally. Initially, you should start with 0.25mg doses and then gradually increase the doses to 0.5mg.
Do not stop taking Dostinex suddenly when you feel better, wait for prolactin levels to remain constant for six months and start taking it again if levels of prolactin in your body rise again.
In case you miss a dose:-
Follow your drug regimen regularly and avoid skipping the dose. But in case you skip a dose take another dose as soon as you remember.
In case of overdose:-
If you take more than the recommended dose of Dostinex in a day, then, you will face undesirable effects such as fainting; hallucinations and nasal congestion. In case of emergency, consult your doctor immediately.
Adverse Effects of Dostinex
Tightness in the chest, behavioral changes, decreased urine formation, cough, weight gain, inflammation of body parts, Indigestion, heart burn, muscle ache, backache, auditory problems, blurred vision, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness and shortness of breath.
Safety Tips of Dostinex
- Don’t smoke; consume alcohol and drugs while using this drug as it may lead to harmful effects.
- It should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- This drug can cause dizziness and drowsiness. Hence, do not drive after taking this medicine.
- Do not take this medicine if you have high blood pressure problems.
- Do not take this medicine if you have any kind of respiratory disorders like asthma.