Cytotec embraced with an active drug Misoprostol, which is a synthetic prostaglandin analogue. It causes the contraction of the uterine muscles, due to which fetus get detached from the from mother's egg. Cytotec can be taken via oral or vaginal route. In case of vaginal route take it with, 3 or 4 drops of saline or distilled water. Cytotec also decreases the production of the acid by the stomach and decrease the risk of stomach and intestinal ulcers.
Indication of Cytotec
- It is recommended for medical termination of pregnancy up to 63 days of gestation.
- It is used for the treatment of stomach ulcers in patients who are taking Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
The intake of Cytotec is restricted in certain enlisting condition
- If the female is hypersensitive to Misoprostol or any other inactive constituents of Cytotec.
- In the patient suffering from stomach and intestinal ulcers such as inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD)
- It should not be taken by pregnant and breast feeding female.
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Aspirin and Ibuprofen
- Corticosteroids like Dexamethasone and Prednisone
- Anticonvulsant drugs like Phenytoin, Phenobarbital and Carbamazepine
- It should be stored at room temperature between 30 ° C.
- It should be kept in an air tight closed container.
- It should be stored away from the contact of heat, sunrays and moisture.
In case of Stomach ulcers- it is prescribed to consume Cytotec (200mcg) four times in a day in a gap of 6 hours after diet and at bedtime to minimize the risk of diarrhea.
In case of Abortion- it is prescribed to consume 400mcg one time in a day with water.
Note: avoid the intake of antacid containing magnesium along with Cytotec, it worse the condition of diarrhea.
What to do in case of missed dose of Cytotec?
If you forget a dose of this drug take it as soon as you remember.
What to do in case of over dose of Cytotec?
Overdose symptoms of Cytotec include stomach upset and pain, diarrhea, lethargy, tremor, seizures, trouble in breathing, fever, low blood pressure, and an irregular heartbeat.
Unwanted Effects of Cytotec
Some common side effects include stomach pain, diarrhea and feeling of nausea. Some Severe side effects occur while taking Cytotec - Tachycardia and bradycardia (irregular heart beat), dehydration, dehydration, muscle weakness and mood changes.
Precaution While Taking Cytotec
Some precautions should be followed before taking Cytotec-
- This medicine is not meant for pregnant women having pregnancy for more than 9 weeks of gestation.
- Avoid chewing Tobacco because it may cause stomach bleeding.
- While consuming Cytotec avoid the intake of alcohol and alcoholic beverages.
- Before using Cytotec, confirm that you are pregnant.
- Avoid the use of Cytotec in case of a nursing mother.