Mifepristone (200mg) is a synthetic hormonal drug which possesses the characteristic of anti-progesterone. It just works by inhibiting the working of progesterone by binding itself to the progesterone receptor. Progesterone is required for maintaining and preparing the lining of the uterus for the fertilized egg, moreover it nurtures the fetus. It is also called as a primary drug for initiating the abortion process.
Misoprostol is a synthetic prostaglandin analogue E1, which just expel out the dead fetus from the uterus, by causing the contraction of the uterus muscle. It usually causes the abortion in 4-6 hours.
Avoid the intake of certain drug while taking abortion pill.
- Anti epilepsy drug such as Phenytoin, Carbamazepine and Phenobarbital.
- Antifungal drugs like Ketoconazole, Itraconazole and Fluconazole.
- Corticosteroids like Dexamethasone and Prednisone
- Anti tuberculosis drug such as Rifampin, Ethambutol
Contraindication of Abortion Pill
The use of the abortion pill is restricted in certain condition.
- In case female is having any kind of sensitivity to Mifepristone and Misoprostol.
- In case of having any kidney and liver disease, Anemia and hemorrhagic disorders.
- It is not recommended for breast feeding female.
- In case of using any Intra uterine devices (IUD’s), it is recommended to take out the IUD device before taking the abortion pill.
It should be stored at below mentioned conditions;
- It should be kept under the room temperature 300°C.
- Avoid the direct contact of heat and humidity.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
Dosage and Administration
Abortion pill contains 5 total tablets, 1 tablet of Mifepristone (200mg) and 4 tablets of Misoprostol (200mcg).
Day-1- it is recommended to take one pill of Mifepristone (200mg) orally as a primary dose for the initiate of the termination. It should be taken an empty stomach.
After a gap of 6-72 hours female should consume 4 pills of Misoprostol (200mcg) either orally or vaginally, it is best to take it vaginally with a few drops of distilled or saline water, it causes the expulsion of the dead fetus by contracting the uterus muscle.
After 14 days, female should visit the nearby clinic to get the confirmation of the complete termination of pregnancy through ultrasound or sonography.
What to do in case of skipped dose?
If you skip a dose of abortion pill, in such condition seek medical help.
What to do in case of overdose?
In such case seek medical help.
Some Common side effects experienced by feel after taking abortion pill include - anxiety diarrhea, weakness, fatigue, feeling of nausea, and feeling of vomiting. Some Severe side effects include, joints pain pelvic pain, severe stomach pain, heavy bleeding and shivering. Fever can be treated with ibuprofen; don't take aspirin as it prolonged the uterus bleeding.
Safety Tips while Using Abortion Pill
- It should not be used if the length of pregnancy longer than 63 days.
- It should not be used in case of ectopic pregnancy (the pregnancy outside the fetus).
- After an abortion with abortion pill take proper rest, don't life up the heavy item afterwards.
- After an abortion with abortion pill or medical termination don't get involved in the sexual activity at least for a week to avoid any kind of vaginal infection.
- After an abortion take balanced and healthy diet rich in vitamins, minerals and iron.